Thursday, January 17, 2008

No Longer Mid-Thirties Life Crisis

After 5 years and close to 800 entries, I closed down my last blog - Mid-Thirties Life Crisis - in June of 2007. My Mid-Thirties are well over now, they weren't such a crisis. Now I'm counting the days to my exit of the 30's and the beginning of my 40's.

It's a fresh, new start. In many aspects, I feel as if I've finally come into my own. I have a much more realistic view of who I am and where my life is going. There are still a ton of unknowns, but they don't matter to me as much as they used to. I'm getting better at planting my own garden and living my life fully and honestly.

In a nutshell, I'm a serial monogamist with a history of running long distances when relationships end. I hit my stride in my early 20's and made my first run of over 1800 miles from Denver, CO to Portland, OR. Since then, I've made it to Eugene, OR and then to Eastern Oregon - where I've been for the last 8 years - with a little foray back to Portland during that time.

It's not that I have a fear of commitment, I think I just committed to the wrong people. Sometimes I committed for the wrong reasons. Sometimes I made poor choices.



I'm getting better at recognizing the pitfalls and hazards of relationships. I've learned that good ones are hard to come by and are hard work. I've learned that there's no use in beating yourself up over someone elses actions.

I've learned that I'm much stronger than I thought. That I'm much more resilient than I thought, and that I've got a lot of insight.

No comments: