Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Way Back Friends....

I had an appointment in Cell-coverage Timbuktu yesterday. It's a lot of driving and nothing to look at, so I use that time to catch up with friends. Most of the time, I end up leaving messages and then I crank the Sirius and rock out. Yesterday was different though.


Yesterday, I got in touch with my best friend from High School. We lost touch for many, many years. Mostly because she moved to Louisiana right after high school and I went away to college. We exchange Christmas cards and usually call each other on our birthdays. The last time we hung out was on at our 20th High School Reunion a few years ago. So, when my birthday came and went last week and I didn't get a call from her, I decided it was time to call and find out what was going on with her.


Firstly, let me give you a little background. Deb & I were unseparable until about mid-way through our Junior year when Eric moved to our area. Once she and Eric hooked up, I got thrown into the background. Back then, I was just pissed that he took my best friend. He was a year ahead of us and was from Louisiana, so after his graduation he stayed in town. I don't really remember why his family moved to Aurora, but I remember that they moved shortly after graduation & Eric stayed to be with Deb. Right after our graduation, he moved back to Louisiana & Deb moved with him. A few years later, they got married.


About the time I graduated from College, Deb was having her first baby - Justin. Six years later she had another baby, Dale. Of course I got photos and Christmas cards and we did our requisite once a year phone call to catch up. Yeah, 20 years of doing that and we finally got together at our reunion and picked up right where we left off. The crazy thing was that Deb was still a toothpick with boobs -- even after two kids. She's got the metabolism of a Chihuahua - always has... anyway, we picked up where we left off & had a great time for a few days and then each went our separate ways. Back to the old habits of a few calls a year and exchanging Christmas cards again.


So, that brings us to yesterday. I hadn't heard from Deb, so figured I'd call her. When she answered, I gave her a ration and asked how the hell she was. She warned me that she'd had some serious drama going on and did I really want to know. "Of course, lay it on me." was my response. Obviously I wasn't quite prepared for what was to come:


On May 6, Deb & Eric and the boys were at a BBQ near their home. Eric & Justin left about 10 minutes before Deb and Dale cause Deb was going to help tidy up and get her dishes. Eric and Justin went off the road a few miles from the BBQ and the pickup rolled several times, coming to a rest upside down in a pond. Both Eric and Justin sustained injuries. Eric was able to get out of the truck, but because of his injuries, he wasn't able to free Justin from his seatbelt. Justin drowned. Rescue personnel were able to revive him and he was transported to the hospital.


This is where it gets a little sketchy for me -- he was apparently pronounced dead, but they were transporting him to another hospital to verify it (I envision that they live somewhere like Pendleton where the medical profession is unprepared for trauma and transfers patients immediately). In the ten to 15 minutes during the ambulance ride to the hospital with the Pediatric ICU and Trauma Center, Justin apparently made it clear that he wasn't dead and wasn't done fighting. He was flailing and trying to pull out the vent tube and the catheter.


They got him to the second hospital where he was stabilized and his injuries were treated. He was put in a drug induced coma in an effort to help him heal. He's sustained head trauma and most likely brain damage from the drowning, but he's alive and he's been fighting for the last 8 weeks. He's had e-coli in his lungs and has had to fight hella infections because of the pond water that he inhaled.


When I talked to Deb yesterday, he had just been transferred to a long term care facility where they would be weaning him from the trach-tube so he could breath on his own. He's still got some problems that are resolving, but he's doing better. The next step for them is a rehabilitation facility where he'll have to re-learn everything. He's got his Mom & Dad's genes though, and I'm sure that he will fight his way back and will recover. He's young, so he's got that going for him.


When the phone call ended, I couldn't stop thinking of Justin and Deb and Eric and Dale. Deb's taken off work to be with Justin about 2 hours from home. Dale isn't old enough to visit his big brother. Eric is home with Dale and because he was driving he feels horrible. It's an accident, they happen. My heart goes out to all of them though. When I asked Deb if there was anything I could do, her reply was that only time would tell how much Justin would recover & that she was positive that the Good Lord had a plan for them. I never knew her to have a lot of faith, but I guess events like this change your way of thinking.


I'm not sure what I belive. God, Creator, Higher Power, Great Spirit. I'll admit that I pray though. Last night, I couldn't sleep. I just kept thinking of Deb and her family, and so I prayed, and prayed and prayed, until I fell asleep. And when I woke up this morning, they were the first thing on my mind. Some people don't believe in the power of prayer. I believe in the power of the Universe though, and think that by sending positive thoughts about their situation into the Universe, maybe it'll help somehow. I know that just remaining positive is helping Deb cope.


So, if you've a few moments, send some positive vibes their way. Say a prayer or two if that's your thing. Light a candle, do a jig, burn some incense. Whatever it is you do or don't do, I know their family could use the energy, prayers or thoughts.



No comments: